|Location:||Johannesburg, Ferndale Randburg|
|Remote work:||Not applicable|
|Level of education:||Diploma|
Applications are invited for the vacant position listed above within Newzroom Afrika. The incumbent will report to the Production Manager.
Purpose of the position
The primary role of the Post-Production Supervisor/Traffic Controller is to oversee the post-production processes for in-house and acquired video content to meet timelines and quality delivery. This involves managing video editors, post-production coordinators and final mix engineers to ensure they meet their deadlines on assigned tasks. This role requires a strong technical understanding as well as strong organizational leadership skills. The Post-Production Supervisor will act as a liaison between the Production Technical Operations Department and the Editorial Department to address technical and personal concerns. You will need to work effectively with a wide variety of employees and be able to work effectively within the editorial vision during the post-production process in terms of live content, packages, long and short form content and programming.
- Prepare monthly shift rosters for all post-production staff, ensuring equal distribution of shift amounts for our regular freelancers;
- Manage the bookings of all regular and ad hoc freelance post-production staff and ensure line manager approval;
- Ensure that all bookings respect the allocated shifts per month and are aligned with the allocated budget;
- Review and submit all freelance invoices and timesheets on a monthly basis within submission deadlines;
- Manage the workload of up to 20 edits at a time, including the time of editors, final mix engineers and post-production coordinators to ensure that all tasks in the final stages of editing of a project are completed on time and within specifications and quality brief.
- Coordinate freelance video editors, mixdown engineers and modify work schedules to ensure smooth workflow and optimal output;
- Assign post-production schedules – check with the editorial team (producers and editors) if the viewing dates/times are going to be respected and inform the heads of departments concerned if this is not the case;
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders and technical departments to systematize and enforce best practices, SOPs and policies;
- Liaise with key editorial staff to ensure review and approval occurs at critical times;
- Ensure that quality control is carried out by the editors and that final quality control is carried out by the editorial team at all times on all editing work before it is sent for broadcast;
- Ensure that all editing work is error-free and zero error tolerance is maintained;
- Review daily TD and EP reports, identify and investigate any errors resulting from post-production, provide feedback and assist line manager in implementing consequence management;
- Prepare weekly update reports to line manager and attend update meetings;
- Prepare regular feedback reports to relevant stakeholders on compliance with SOPs, policies and quality control processes;
- Perform performance management of all freelance staff and take disciplinary action if necessary;
- Sourcing of innovative solutions to improve the efficiency of the post-production unit;
- Work closely with the Archiving Unit to manage assigned storage on the MAM and ensure archiving workflows are understood, maintained and adhered to.
- Relevant qualification in the field of television or media mandatory;
- Five years of professional experience in a post-production environment;
- Exceptional knowledge and experience of video editing and mixdown engineering workflows and processes;
- Experience in video editing and/or final mix engineering advantageous;
- Knowledge of AVID systems workflows and processes for digital and broadcast deliveries, including the advantageous full Avid suite;
- Experience in managing offline/online editors and mixdown engineers;
- Excellent verbal and written communication;
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and management skills;
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage a team;
- Undertake other duties, including general administrative duties, as may be required from time to time; and
- Ability to work long hours and weekends to ensure deadlines are met.
- Results oriented
- Viewer Centered
- Team work
Newzroom Afrika is South Africa’s premier 24-hour TV news channel broadcasting in Southern Africa, East and West Africa.
Posted on March 25 15:18, Closing date April 15